hey guys I’ve got some ideas:
- instead of donning fat suits for a day, LISTEN TO AND BELIEVE FAT PEOPLE WHO DESCRIBE THEIR EXPERIENCES
- instead of pretending to be a woman on a dating site, LISTEN TO AND BELIEVE WOMEN WHO DESCRIBE THEIR EXPERIENCES
- instead of wearing a hijab for a day, LISTEN TO AND BELIEVE MUSLIM WOMEN WHO DESCRIBE THEIR EXPERIENCES
- instead of trying on being part of an oppressed group like it’s a costume, DON’T
The thing about cures and why I’m not big on that being the main focus of illness activism is that
- Cures are not going to happen overnight, they take a lot of time to research, test and then supply. We need to focus on how to help ill people AS THEY ARE NOW.
- Even if they do make a cure for a disease, most of us who are chronically ill have more than one disease, so even after taking that cure, we’d still be chronically ill.
- There’s no guarantee cures will be safe or side-effect free. New medicines can go horribly wrong, and many people are sensitive to medication. A cure may just end up making people feel worse.
- When people focus on cures rather than helping ill people, it basically tells us that we’re a hassle you’d rather not have to deal with.
Being ill is really tough and I’m not advocating against finding cures for illnesses, I would definitely be okay with preventing people in future from getting FSGS! But I know realistically that I will be ill all my life, so I’d rather illness activists would focus on making things easier for us rather than cures.
'wehhhh i dont like tauriel she's so cliche she's pretty AND a perfect fighter AND guys want her AND she has healing skills she's too perfect it's unrealistic'
here is a list of things for you to consider, friend
- have you met aragorn
hey everyone. an australian aboriginal woman has been sentenced to life in prison because of her disability, even though she hasn’t been convicted of any crime. she has been in there for 18 months already, and although the government has the facilities to care for people with disabilities, they are ignoring requests to have her transferred to a dedicated care facility rather than a prison. here is the petition to free her - it still needs ~14,000 signatures. please sign.
i don;t understand why there are still people who like Martin Freeman???? like he’s done so many awful things surely you must have given up trying to pretend he’s anything but a pile of shit
dont even ask just put your mind in a suspension of disbelief and click play
If you care more about how “delicious” a particular brand of chocolate is than whether or not you are supporting an organisation that essentially condones the murder of autistic people and supports eugenics against them, you are seriously such disgustingly self-centered…
you can’t possibly be allistic. the five-year-old i babysit is allistic and you’re NOTHING like them.
day of mourning vigil is tomorrow
people say dolphins are smart but there not smart enough to not be Shity grey rubber tubes flappin about in the gotdamn ocean
congratulations! you are the piss lord of shit mountain. thank u for hefting turds down the mountainside so that we, the proles, may feast on your bounteous craps